This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Medical Certification information





Employers asking for a doctor's statement for the first seven days of an employee's sickness are referred to the "Statutory Sick Pay Manual for Employers" - National Insurance Contributions Series CA30, Paragraph 28, which states "…you(the employer)cannot ask for a doctor's statement for the first seven days of a spell of sickness".


The purpose of this regulation is to avoid the necessity for employees with minor, self-limiting illness or injury to use surgery appointments for the sole purpose of obtaining a medical certificate.  We do not, therefore, issue certificates in these circumstances.


If employers have reason to inquire about a spell of sickness, they are advised to write to the doctor, including written permission from the employee concerned, when a report may be issued.  A charge will be made for such a report.


Download a copy of  a self certificate

Sickness Certificates for students up to 7 days  

 College/School Medical Certificates


  • A GP cannot issue a certificate of sickness unless they (or a colleague) have actually seen the patient during the illness.


  • Anyone who is ill for 7 days or less is covered by a self certificate (these SC2 Statements can be had from any Benefits Office or Employer).  Doctors are not legally required to issue a medical certificate to cover the first 7 days of any illness.


  • There is no requirement to issue a doctors certificate for students attending school or college as there is no “occupational need”.   Our doctors are only required to provide such a statement under NHS and Department of Work and Pensions regulations for illness absences of 7 days or more, for employment related purposes only.


  • If a school/college requires an official statement about a student’s absence, a report from their parent/guardian should be accepted by the establishment.


  • Should a school/college have a particular concern regarding a student’s absence, then a letter (including the written consent of the student or their parent/guardian) should be sent to the GP detailing the reason why they wish a doctor’s report.  This private service is not covered by the NHS and therefore will be subject to a fee.


  • There is absolutely no benefit to either the student or the school/college, of a doctor signing a standard letter or certificate based on inadequate information, regarding past events that cannot be verified.




NHS ScotlandThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website